Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ivy B Blushing



Hello to my Sweet Bees! 

I'd like to share something with you. The following is a conversation I had with my mother yesterday afternoon when she came over for a quick visit.

"So I bought your book."

I blinked a couple times and stared at her. And then through a grimace I said" And Mum, why'd you do that?"

"Oh no, not your first one, the one that just came out."

"It doesn't matter! This one is graphic too!"

"So? It's not like I have never read anything like that before."

"Yes but it never read anything like that that was written by your daughter!"

"It'll be fine."

"Okay… but you've been warned...and I hope you'll still respect me."

And then we had a hearty laugh about how she would actually have to have respect for me in the first place in order to lose respect for me.

Ha, Ha, Ha...I think she was kidding...?

But I digress.

When she said she bought my book she meant that she bought my e-book The Fifth Story that came out from Breathless Press on September 7/2012. For those of you who don't know, it's a paranormal erotic novel about a girl named Bryn who gets pulled into the world of her own stories. While she's in a couple of her stories she does things with a few of her characters that I can only assume will make my mother blush. 

The issue of a family member maybe reading one of my saucier books has been one that has plagued me since my first erotic novella, Between the Lines, came out in January. It's a silly issue because if I wrote violent books or horror novels I would have no problem with any family member reading my work. But because my writing has graphic sex in it I get uncomfortable with the idea of somebody I'm related to reading it even if they are fans of erotica. Not that I have to worry that my father will read it. He's not ashamed of me in anyway but I think on some level, even I'm married and have a child, that he would prefer to think that his daughter doesn't actually get involved in sex.

Perhaps I'm not making a lot of sense; perhaps I making too much of a deal about it. We all have sex, or a great many of us do, and we don't always do it, for lack of a better word, nicely. It's not like my mother and I have never been open about sex. I've always been able to talk to her about everything. Besides it's not like all of the sex in my books is based on personal experience and so that when she reads it she'll be reading actual accounts of what her daughter has done sexually. No, most of it is just stuff I found in my imagination and thought it would look good on paper. No, to the best of my knowledge I have never had relations with space vampire.

When it comes to writing, for me, although the sex is fun to write, I first try to focus on crafting a good story. What I really want readers to take away from one of my books it isn't just how graphic the sex scenes were (and I'm fully aware that there are far more graphic sex scenes in other books that what I've written. I'm not trying to say I'm an expert) but I really hope that when readers are finished that they will think about the story as a whole. I hope that they will feel that the story worked, that it made sense and that they understood the characters and their motivations. I hope that, even for a little while, the story will stick with them.

In my mother's case, I hope that she'll enjoy the story enough that she'll forget that her daughter wrote it while she's reading it.

Now for those of you out there who are reading this who are writers of erotic fiction, how do you feel about family members reading your work? 

It's a thought puzzle, that's for sure!

Until next time,
Ivy B cringing...just a little.

xoxo

2 comments:

L.B.Shire said...

Hi Ivy, good post :) My Mom has read the stories I have out too, but I haven't told her about the recent erotic tale I wrote for the Crimson Anthology for Breathless Press yet:0(was very fun to write by the way) I grew up with very conservative parents, so I have a feeling this one is going to really make her blush! HeHe. It'll all be good though, my family is proud that I'm an author.

Ivy Bateman said...

:)Thanks L.B.! I write a lot of things that my parents can enjoy, but I think curiosity has gotten the better of my mother! We'll see how she feels I guess! It is a nice feeling though...when your parents are proud of what you do. :)