Friday, October 12, 2012

Ivy B Spending Some Time With Linda Kage

The Color of Grace
Hello my sweet bees and to anyone who is visiting Ivy B Misbehavin' for the first time.

Today, I would like you to welcome my friend and author Linda Kage. Ever since Linda and I became email pen pals we've bounced ideas off each other, offered writing advice and learned a lot about each other as people and not just as authors. Friendship and the value of people you can count on is one of themes in The Color of Grace and I feel that Linda was able to capture how important reliable friends are to all of us because Linda herself, is a true friend.

Before we get to my interview with Linda, here's a little blurb for from The Color of Grace.
  
***

When it comes to fight or flight, Grace Indigo runs every time. Intimidated, She ran off when the dazzling handsome Ryder Yates merely asked her for her name. Angry, She stormed from the room when her mother told her she had to transfer to a new school. And scared, she climbed out her bedroom window, making a mad dash for it, when her new stepfather put the moves on her. But what happens when a sixteen-year-old girl used to running from her problems finds herself trapped with her back against the wall...and nowhere to flee?

Join Grace's flight through color after color of experiences and watch her find her true hue...in the Color of Grace.

***
The Interview...

Ivy: Hello Linda and welcome to Ivy B Misbehavin! It's really wonderful to have you here today. As you are well aware, since I gushed to you about your book, I read The Color of Grace in Sept and I loved it. Knowing that you were going to be on my blog in October, I jotted questions down as I went along. So, why don't we get started.  

Do you remember your first crush?


Linda: Yes.  Next question!  Kidding, kidding.  I’m sure you wanted me to elaborate on that, huh!  Okay, here are the details. We went to the same church and I started liking him when I was in eighth grade when the youth group we were both in had to get ready for a huge fundraiser. I crushed on him big time, all the way through high school and into college until I met my husband. I never could tell him I liked him. To this day, I still can’t quite look him in the eye when I see him out and about. It just feels strange.

Ivy: I can understand that completely! I saw my elementary school boyfriend over 11 years ago at a reunion and it was a very bizarre feeling. Now...do you remember your first kiss?

Linda: Yes, again! I may be lame for this, but I married the guy who gave me my first kiss. We rented the movie Psycho and I remember the date they gave on the movie right after the beginning credits was Friday, December 11th. And I was like, hey, today is a Friday, and it was December 11thtoo. Too strange, I know, to have my first kiss fall on the same day the movie Psycho took place. At least it wasn’t Friday the 13th! I’m still very happily attached to my hubby! He brought my out of my shy shell more than anyone else. Now, I’m only mildly shy instead of glaringly shy.

Ivy: I  don't think you're lame and the coincidence make a great story! In your novel, Grace moves from a place where she has a circle of friends she can depend on to a new school where she knows no one and has trouble finding her place. When was the last time that you felt completely out of place?

Linda: High school!  No wait, Middle school!  Okay, I’ve pretty much always felt like an oddball during all my school years.  Not until I met my husband did I really start feeling as if I’d found a couple places where I truly fit in, like college and with my husband’s clique.

Ivy: Again...I can relate. I was such an odd ball and I too found my place at college. It was a very comforting feeling. Now in your novel, without giving anything away, Grace eventually finds her place again. When was a time that you felt like you completely belonged somewhere?

Linda: My romance writer’s club yearly retreat is a wonderful event. I love getting together with other writes who have a passion for the same genre I do. Just listening to them talk keeps me happy for weeks after I get home. I also liked working as a circulation clerk at my city library, because, again I was surrounded by people who loved books! 

Ivy: That's really wonderful! And it sounds like fun event. In The Color of Grace I could tell that you enjoyed giving all of your characters a life and their own distinct voices. What character in your book do you most identify with?

Linda: Grace. Definitely. I gave her a lot of my fears and values…poor girl!

Ivy: Me too! Grace really spoke to me. I think a lot of girls will identify with her. Grace is a very real and likeable character.

One my favorite parts of your novel is Grace's love for her father's lumber jacket. There is something so comforting in putting on a piece of clothing that belonged or belongs to someone you really care about. If I was ever able to get my hands on a piece of clothing, like a jacket, that belonged to a boy I liked, I was on cloud nine! Did you ever have a piece of clothing from a boy you liked?

Linda: Just my husband.  And he’s NOT getting that shirt back!

Ivy: I'm sure he doesn't mind. He knows where it is if he really needs it!

Ok, onto the final question. I really liked how at the beginning of many of your chapters, you described different colors and what they meant to Grace. Linda, what color are you?

Linda: Green.  I  always feel like I’m learning something new and needing to grow up!

Ivy: I think that's a good choice. No matter how old we get, we can all learn something! Thanks again for joining me on Ivy B Misbehavin' today. It's been a real pleasure.

For those of you who have yet to read The Color of Grace, I highly recommend it. I loved this book. As I said earlier, I related to the character Grace and what she went through and I felt like I knew her. I felt true angst for Grace when she started in the new school. I cried along with her when she cried. I laughed out loud many times when she found something funny. I yelled with things went wrong and cheered when things went right. When I read a book, I know I'm enjoying it when I talk to the characters, when I encourage them on, when I yell at the bad guys. This book, like the main character Grace, is full of all the colors and emotions of not just being a teenager, but of just being.

 

Excerpt from The Color of Grace By Linda Kage


“But what’re you taking a picture of?”

“The glove.”

Swerving back around, Ryder arched a questionable eyebrow at the article of winter wear in the snow. “The glove?”

Concentrating on setting the phone’s camera mode to capture, I held the screen in position as I neared the glove for a good close up.

Ryder moved in with me. I paused to send him a scowl over my shoulder. He paused too, glancing briefly at me before returning his attention to the glove. “I don’t get it.”

Gritting my teeth, I turned back to my task and tipped the phone sideways for a vertical portrait shot before tilting it back, preferring the original landscape mode. Focusing all my attention on finding the perfect pose, I scooted a little to the right and then the left, testing the light from each angle before I made up my mind and took the shot.

As the final product froze on my screen, my face lit with pleasure. “Perfect. Isn’t it wonderful?” I spun around to show off my masterpiece before I remembered the boy behind me was the one person I didn’t want to be around just then.

Ryder looked down at the picture. “It…” He scratched his head, then raised his gaze and laughed. “Honestly, it looks like a glove. What am I supposed to see?”

My face fell. He didn’t understand. I don’t know why I was disappointed. There was no chance Ryder Yates would ever be anything to me, but the fact that he didn’t share my passion let me down. Just like everything else I’d learned about him today.

“You’re supposed to see whatever you want to see. Feel whatever you want to feel.”

He concentrated hard as he glanced back down at the camera screen before he looked up and quietly asked, “So what do you see?”

Touched beyond words he cared anything about my opinion, I bit my lip as I studied the shot. After thinking it through, I gave my answer. “Well…there’s only one glove. Right away, I wonder, where’s the other glove? How did it become separated from its mate? Does it feel lost and confused without its other half? It looks lonely. Cold. Like an outsider that has no one to turn to, nowhere to go. And the stark contrast of the white snow against the bright colors of the glove makes the lines crisp and clear. It makes that feeling of alienated loneliness crisp and clear. The purity of the snow gives the purity of the glove’s solitude a stronger effect.”

When I finished talking, I held my breath, realizing how far off the deep end and into my musings I’d gone. Slowly, I lifted my face, desperate to know his response. Did he think I was crazy? Totally out there? Or wise and philosophical? The response I feared most was that he’d laugh, making fun of my foolish prattle.

***



 Linda grew up on a dairy farm in the Midwest as the youngest of eight children. Now she lives in Kansas with her husband, toddler daughter, and their nine cuckoo clocks. She works a day job in the acquisitions department of a university library and feels her life has been blessed with lots of people to learn from and love. Writing's always been a major part of her world, and she's thrilled to finally share some of her stories with other romance lovers.



 You can find Linda on the web at:                                                          

Website - http://www.lindakage.com/

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/linda.kage

FB Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/authorlindakage

Twitter - http://twitter.com/#!/lindakage

Blog - http://lindakage.blogspot.com/

Google + - https://plus.google.com/117163270588306204279/posts

MySpace - http://www.myspace.com/lindakage

LinkedIn - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/linda-kage/32/150/866

Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003ILJHKM

GoodReads - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3213942.Linda_Kage

Pinterest - http://pinterest.com/lindakage/

YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/user/LindaKage



8 comments:

Linda Kage said...

**happy squeal** I don't know what's more exciting: reading how cool you made our interview, or it finally being the last day of this tour!! I was really looking forward to it starting, now I'm ready for it to be OVER!! Thanks so much for a wonderful grand finale to my tour! Lots of hugs to you!

Ivy Bateman said...

:) You're very welcome. It was a lot of fun! I'm glad you're so happy with...well...everything!

Carol Kilgore said...

I'll bet Ryder didn't laugh :)

Great interview. I think a lot of writers never fit in. We see the world differently.

Happy Weekend!

Mary Corrales said...

It amazes me how writers don't feel like they fit anywhere until they meet other writers. I love meeting other writers, even if just online, because it's a chance to talk with someone so much like myself.

Loved the excerpt, and I'm with Carol, I don't think Ryder laughed.

Elie said...

Linda, I can't believe you had a hard time fitting in anywhere. You seem like you would be a great friend!! Glad your sweetie made you felt like you belong. Congrats on a great tour!

Ironic Lady (BookSpark) said...

That is such a cute interview! I really enjoyed reading it. Linda and Ivy, you are the sweetest girls :)

Ana @ BookSpark

Ivy Bateman said...

:) Thanks Ana!!

Blogger said...

Did you know that you can create short urls with AdFly and get dollars from every click on your shortened urls.