Monday, January 28, 2013

Ivy B Guttin' Fish...Which Isn't Sexy

Hello Sweet Bees

Welcome to the first day of the Breathless Press Blurb Blitz! And no...the title of this blog post isn't a metaphor and a euphemism for anything. I really am, or was, gutting fish. My neighbour gave me a bag of wee fish called smelts with the heads still on and guts intact. He told me how to do the deed of cleaning and cooking and so I promptly put them in the freezer to ignore them for a while!

No, that's not entirely true...I kept in the freezer because they were frozen and needed to be kept that way until we wanted to eat them and for some reason, I felt that today was the was the day to have a "feed of smelts".

Well, when I was a kid, I watched my grandparents gut 100's of fish and until this afternoon I never really appreciated how disgusting it was. Yes, I used to poke the occasional eye, but I was never involved with head chopping or gut pulling.

So, this afternoon, I strapped on my iron stomach. I dumped the bag of neighbour smelts into a sink of cold water and watched their frozen fishy bodies float around in a lazy circle while hoping I'd be able to prepare them for dinner with minimal retching. One of the smelts had something caught in his teeth and for some reason I felt the need to pull it out of its mouth. Stupid me for two reasons:

1. They have very sharp teeth and the bugger post posthumously bit me.

2. There was no need for me to pull the orange thing out of the smelt's mouth since I was going to be cutting its wee heads off anyway so he could have kept his orange toy and I could not have been bitten by a dead fish.

That being said, I managed to clean the fish with only tiny bouts of squeamishness and our feed of fried smelts was delicious. The scent of them, mixed with oil being heated by a candle that smells exactly like birthday cake (the oil, not the candle) still lingers throughout our home.

And speaking of birthday cake..actually what I'm about to say has nothing to do with birthday cake, but I need to announce this somewhere in this post...it's time for you to hop over to


followed by

And join in the Breathless Press Blurb Blitz contest!

Remember, the five of us involved in this blog tour will be busy all week, showing up in many places on the interwebs. We hope you'll join us for a chance to win a Breathless Press Gift Card.

That's all for now so

Until next time,

Ivy B still nursing the nibble from the fish that bit her while in its eternal fishy sleep

xoxo

No comments: