Thursday, February 13, 2014

Today Ivy Reveiws Her Goals and Pipe Dreams


Hello my dear Sweet Bees!!

I don't know about you, but I can't believe we are almost halfway through February. More than that though, I can't believe it's almost been a year since I turned the big 4 - 0 and wrote this post.



In case you didn't read it or don't have time to go read it now, I'll give you the short version. It was a post outlining my goals for the year and each goal had three parts, these being: Realistic Goal, Pipe Dream and EXTRA BIG PIPE DREAM.

I set myself five fairly realistic goals for my year of being 40 and now here we are, two days before my 41st birthday and I thought I'd review the list publicly, outlining in full blazing glory what I have and have not accomplished (in regards to the list) in the last 365-ish days. Before we begin, I might as well burst any expectation bubbles and tell you right up front that  I achieved none of the Pipe Dreams or EXTRA BIG PIPE DREAM goals. That doesn't mean I never will, it means it just didn't happen in the last year.

Are you ready? Ok, let's go!

Sorry, Will. I'll try harder.
My first goal, Regarding Play Writing, was not a total write off. I had hoped to write a play or get one
I've already written published, but...it just never happened. I did however, and this is the "I sort of accomplished my goal" part, help write a play for a kids acting workshop and that was a lot of fun.

This year, this year I WILL get a play written and send it and the one I meant to send out last year to play publishing companies and see what happens. Stay tuned!

My second goal, Regarding Novel Writing was successful, but not in the way I planned. I'd planned on finishing a NanoWrimo novel from 2012 ANNNND..it never happened. Truth be told, I just lost interest. I may look back at it another time.

The Winner: Christmas Eve Surprise!
However, I unexpectedly wrote a fourth eBook for Breathless Press for the Christmas season. It was Christmas Eve Surprise which recently, happily and unexpectedly won a Breathless Press Best of 2013 Award for Erotika. Now, what's up for this year? Who knows. I've been seriously thinking about writing a sequel to Between the Lines, but I've been thinking of that for a while and can't quite figure out where to take it.

Whatever I decide to do, I'd have to say that my second goal for 2013 was successfully met.



Thanks for the inspiration Double Phil.
My third goal, Regarding Music was...well...I'd set a goal of writing five songs and I was sort of successful. I'm a huge fan of the parody genre and occasionally like to bust out my own. In 2013 I wrote 3 parody songs: 2 of them about Doctor Who and another about Meme's. So while I didn't write the music, I did write the lyrics, play them on guitar and film myself, on purpose, singing them. And while 3 is not 5 it's better than 0.

However, I did write one song, music and all, for a project for a job I know longer work at and made three cover recordings, just for kicks. So while, like my writing one, this wasn't EXACTLY what I set out to do, I had fairly musical year of 40 and therefore consider goal number three successfully met. 


Hats off to Ivy? Why thank-you, Ben! (not my photo!)
 My fourth goal, Regarding Chat Shows. Let us all enjoy a hardy guffaw at this one. The only thing I did regarding chat shows was to watch a lot of them on You Tube and become more desperate to make an appearance on Graham Norton's chat show couch. And even thought this really doesn't belong, if I'm honest with myself, in the "Realistic Goal Category" I'll keep it there because I have high hopes. As a side note, last year my EXTRA BIG PIPE DREAM was to be on a chat show with David Tennant. Things change, new discoveries are made and since my life has recently been taken over by the marvelous show Sherlock, I would like to keep David, but add Benedict Cumberbatch to the line up the night I'm on. That would be...wow...there are no words.There a lot of dirty pictures in my head, but I'm going to keep those to myself.



Ivy is a bit dramatic.
My fifth goal, Regarding Performances is a goal that keeps on...goaling? Hmmm...I hear the sirens of the grammar police. Anyway, in my post last year I said that I would keep acting on stage until people got tired of watching me. Well, thankfully that hasn't happened yet and I'm still performing. Last year I did a very wee part in one play and performed a monologue for some tourists ( I was asked to. I didn't just burst into a speech about being a midwife in front of a crowd of unsuspecting strangers). I also took an acting class and did a short scene with a group of lovely ladies. One of these lovely ladies was a dear friend of mine and unfortunately she passed away in October. I know now that I will never get on stage again without thinking of her. She was wonderful to work with and I really miss her.

This year, performance wise, is off to a busy start. When Spring, well...springs I will be in a play where I have two small parts and a couple weeks later, I'll be in another. I love acting so much that no matter how hard I try to put my emotional connection to the stage into words, they never quite grasp the full extent of my feelings.

Ivy has a silly side.
But I digress. In regards to this goal, I think I can safely say that this it was successful met and hopefully will continue to be. I need to act and will always find a way to be in a situation where strangers are forced to watch me pretend to be someone else.

Without getting into the nitty gritty of my personal life, last year was quite rough at times, but I got through it. What is in store for my family and I this year is something wholly new to us and will be extremely difficult. I'm not sure how we're going to be next year at this time, but let me say this: Being creative keeps me going. It keeps the demons from becoming too dark and unmanagable. If I didn't have these goals or Ivy, if I didn't have the incredible support of my friends (both online and off) and my family for all I do off and on stage and if they weren't there through the easy and difficult times in my life, I don't know how I'd survive.

Here's to a year full of beauty and challenges.

Here's to being creative.

Here's to you.

Ivy

xoxo

No comments: